Decorating the interior of a house can be difficult if you don’t have any experience or professional training in home decoration. However, with a little bit of knowledge on common design ideas, you can do the decoration yourself. It’s worth mentioning here that majority of designers don’t follow a rule book. There are no written rules on how you should do this or that. Most creative types go with their instincts. You should do the same. However, before you start decorating, you should be aware of the core principles that separate good design from bad design. Below is an overview of some home design tips which you can follow to decorate any room in your home.
1) Keep the color of the walls light and neutral. Most experienced designers would recommend either beige or light gray because these are colors that can easily blend with other colors. For example, as long as the walls are beige, you can use furniture of any color. Walls with neutral colors provide you with more flexibility when it comes to choosing furniture and other accessories. It will also be easier to find wall decorations such as paintings that would look prominent and stylish when installed on the walls. Neutral colors are also well-known for making a room look larger than its actual size.
2) Make use of furniture and decorations that are of the proper scale. Basically, what this means is that you shouldn’t place very small furniture in a large room. And don’t put large furniture in a small room. The same can be said about the decorations and accessories that you hang on the wall. When it comes to wall decorations, the center of the picture or painting should hang at eye level. If the center is too high or too low, then you need to adjust it or replace it altogether.
3) Layer your lighting. The general rule is that there shouldn’t be too much or too little light inside a room. This is especially true when it comes to the living room because this is a place where you will likely be spending most of your time. It’s highly recommended that you create two sources of light. One for the artificial light and one for the natural light. For artificial light, overhead fixtures and floor level lamps will do. For natural light, a glass window or two would suffice.
4) Get rid of unnecessary clutter. Among the home design tips discussed here, this is one of those that a lot of homeowners often forget. Always go for simplicity. If a room only needs one table, then don’t try to squeeze two tables. This can also be said about closets and bookshelves. And last but not the least; don’t use too much wall accessories as these can completely ruin the overall design.
5) Utilize rugs and mats. This is advisable if your floor is not in top condition. Rugs and mats will not only make your floors look clean and stylish, these can also be used to hide blemishes like cracks and stains.
Designing a room can be really difficult. But if you are aware of the basic concepts of home decoration, the process is actually easy and fun. Following the practical home design tips discussed above would significantly help you in achieving the look that you want.